Friday 3 August 2012

Game Review - Heroes Of Newerth

Heroes Of Newerth (HoN)


Genre: MOBA/ARTS (Action Real Time Strategy)
Price: Recently made 100% free (all heroes on sign-up)

Gameplay
Heroes of Newerth was the third game to be released by an indie games company called S2. The developer used its established lore from its previous games and the play style of a well known game, Defense of the Ancients, to create an up to date game. DotA was originally a map mod on the Warcraft 3 engine and quickly became incredibly popular, especially in South Eastern Asia. The popularity of DotA is so strong that some still play the original, even with the sequel in closed beta. When HoN was first released, it had a very similar style to DotA and there are still rumours today that legendary devoloper Icefrog (who now works for valve on DotA 2) helped at the games beginnings. However, the game is now distinctly different between its main competition, League of Legends and DotA 2. Unfortunately, between the three games, HoN has the hardest time for beginners. 

The learning curve is steep, with some playing for years and still considered low skill players. This isnt due to a poorly designed game, its just that the game is much more complicated than it seems. There is over 100 heroes in HoN, and each one plays differently. Although these differences can be minor, there is still 4 skills per hero that you have to understand, and then several skill builds to learn as well. Its easy to get the builds wrong as each depends on the situation and there is also items to consider buying. Once you understand the basics of the game and how it works, it truly is addictive. Matches are often long (38 minutes is my average over 400+ games) but maintain a fast pace . Teamwork and communication is key to the game, as well as being a good player yourself. You have to understand what your role in the team is depending on what heroes you are all playing. Your actions could mean victory or defeat. If this goes right, the feeling of success is huge. I advise playing with friends and growing as players together or learning from them if they are better and vice versa.
Gameplay score: 9/10 The game is fun, addictive and recent, consistent updates have brought the game a long way. Be warned, it can easily get frustrating due to the community. OMG NOOB is a common occurrence in the chat. This happens in most MOBA games though.

  

Graphics
Graphics on the game are great. In comparison to its competition, I certainly prefer HoN to LoL, and between DotA 2 and HoN is a hard choice for me. The game engine runs really well on my shitty laptop, and I can't even remember the last time the game crashed or froze or anything. Admittedly, the graphics are not the most complex around. To me, they capture a feel of the original warcraft engine whilst still being unique. There are a couple of faults, such as animation bugs and other UI glitches. The glitches can be common, and often bugs are fixed with updates on every Friday. Graphics is always a very subjective thing, but I enjoy the style of HoN.
Graphics Score: 8/10 They aren't exactly flashy, but they get the job done and look good to me.


Business Model
Before I start reviewing this section properly, I should explain the history of this games marketing. Once the game was released from beta in 2010, players had to pay $30 for an account to play the game. This was a pretty standard fee which you would expect from quite a few games. However, the game ran into serious competition form LoL which was free to play and so forced HoN to change its system to a similar one or sink. Presently, the game operates on a fully free to play system, with cosmetic changes and early access to new heroes and avatars available for purchase. With the new model also came alot of changes so that the in-game currency is alot easier to earn, and there are lots of alt-avatars you can earn quickly. Speaking as someone who has paid to play the game, not only am I impressed by the bold move, I'm happy it happened. I can easily question its originality, since DotA 2 announces it would be fully free and then HoN makes the change soon after, but the change is right. It allows balance to public games and opens up new players to the highly competitive nature of the game. Competitive scenes and E-Sports keep a game alive. For example, Counter Strike 1.6 is still a well played game despite a 2000 release. I even made a suggestion 5 months before the new model to change hero rotations and game mode restrictions so that free accounts could access them. Regardless of originality, the game is fully free, and who can argue with free fun?
Business Model Score: 10/10 Many have mocked S2 for mistakes they have made before, but the change took guts and I tip my internet hat to a fully free game for all to enjoy. 


Overall
Taking away bias from the choice of which MOBA you play, HoN is a great choice and can only grow from its current position. Sure its competition is strong, but that doesn't stop HoN from being strong too.
Overall Score: 9/10 The game isn't perfect, but with friends and updates supporting the game, its moving in a great direction and is fantastic free game!

32 comments:

  1. Great review, i agree with most of what you said;i've been playing since dota so i luckily avoided the steep learning curve, but HoN and MOBA's in general are so unlike other games, as FPS and MMORPG's are all relatively similar and erasy to pick up, this is why MOBA's are hard to learn, as you said.

    My HoN account is Token, and my favourite hero is pyromancer, purely due to his sheer power of versatility, making him a great ganker, semi carry, and support, allowing him to fit into any lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the best reviews.
    My favorite hero is Balphagore. I am IsmaelVera.

    :balp:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on review. I'd like to add that Heroes of Newerth can actually look really awesome on a high-end PC, Dota 2 can only compare to the game on older PCs. One should also keep in mind that the UI and the game itself is fully customizable thanks to the add-on support. This is the most important thing that makes me prefer HoN over any other moba game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect review on HoN <3 basically have pointed out everything

    HoN username is SquishyKitty and I love Plague Rider - Support all they waaaay ! x3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good and accurate review of HoN, unlike many of those other ones with complete factual errors. I especially like the point that HoN is much better when you play with friends
    My name is Watercat and my forum account is TACretAw.
    My favorite heroes are soul reaper, bubbles, torterer, hellbringer, and ellonia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This review is one of the best ones, i rarely read stuff, but this, i was reading while riding the lightrail ^_^

    My HoN nickname is Arlekin0
    I really enjoy playing Ophelia, love multitasking :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Review, Not only was it honest but there was no hate. Well done
    My hon name is: DeadBones
    my favourite hon character would be Keeper Of The Forest. It would be her because I can carry so hard with her after 20 minutes in a game i would be stacked and they would lose 3 out of there 6 external towers to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite hero is Devourer, why? because he's cool and doesn't afraid of anything.

    but seriously, I like devo cause he's my favorite pick to play mid, and I prefer to play mid, even though I might only be 1600 rated and playing most casualt (lol) I love devo cause I like to pull them fukkers in :D

    (copied from hon forums as i had to post on both the forums.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. after s2 released oogie it started to be my favourite hero, he's so fun and enjoyable, his ult makes him able to tank so much, even if he needs a lot of mana to use his skills, you can still use and do a lot of damage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favourite hon hero is currently Solstice, because I can shine with her at any time. In general I prefer gankers, especially if ganking at level 2 from woods, and I despise farming woods for 30 min with any hero.

    As for review, you might want to update the lines about UI glitches. I didn't see any since some time now, and most of them happened because of mods many players use anyway. I would also add that all cosmetics are purchaseable through playing games as well as cash, as opposed to dota and LoL; From your review I understood that I have to pay for cosmetics. Writing a word or 2 about what EA is would be a nice touch too. Just my 2c

    TurboHydra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dampeer, because he thinks I'm delicious xD
    Also, of all the one-trick-pony heroes (Pebbles, DW, Parasite...) I like his skill-set the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Devourer, because I love to hook people ;p
    And he is one of the most OP heroes early game , not as good late game..but If you get fed enough,devo can change his role to hard tank :) and that's why i love him.

    Nice Review btw. But i didn't read it till end ^_^

    IGN: ApothZ

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I've already mention back on the forum, its a fair review and I'm glad that you've been building traffic to your blog through these kind of articles.

    But well, I'll just dive in and grasp this opportunity to ease you off that little reward you are giving to one of us! haha I'm going to make friends drop in here so that the reward can be inflated. :P

    Since everyone is sharing their favorite hero I'll do same! My all time favorite is Artesia but lately I've been enjoying playing Solstice. So fun to play her!

    SyleSpawn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Fluxzy,

    I read your review back when you posted it initially and it's definitely a good read for everyone who hasn't done so.

    In regards to the competition, I'll copy what I posted back on the forum for simplicities sake and to avoid any confusion.

    "My favourite hero has got to be Nymphora. She's an extremely versatile hero that can fill many roles (although her primary role is likely to be aggressive support or babysitter) and has many different playstyles in terms of skill and item builds. She fits well with a plethora of gankers thanks to her awesome ultimate, and is pretty self-sufficient when played as a support (since she has mana and heals to replenish herself and any allies, as well as 2 abilities that are great for clearing creepwaves if there's no carry nearby to do so!).

    Besides, who doesn't like Fairies? She even throws MORE fairies when she auto-attacks!"

    My HoN account is SolarFlare22

    Thanks for doing this Fluxzy!

    -Solar

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty Good. My ign is Firesage

    My favorite hero is pyro because he can set things on fire

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember reading this a while back, good review.
    My username is lortaku and my favorite hero is legionnaire.
    It's so fun to hop in the jungle, stack everything, come out double the enemy mid's level and give people the axe. Plus you don't have to go the same build all the time, I remember going codex and charging them, codex, and then giving them the axe. Plus the feeling of a proper execution is just so nice, that noise and their head rolling to the floor. I have all the legionnaire alts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE BALFAGORE, poeple think he's a dummy
    I LOVE BALFAGORE, he finds corpses yummy!
    I LOVE BALFAGORE, cause his minions push hard
    I LOVE BALFAGORE, plus the ult, his trump card
    I LOVE BALFAGORE, and i love gold coins, woo
    I LOVE BALFAGORE.............. oh and Fluxzy too!

    also whenever i go buldozer style with him against the other team, all i can think about is that song with "Here comes the hotsteppa, Murderah" xD

    hope you gain many followers on your blog and keep up the good work!

    Fane_Maciuca game account, btw. Also yes i know Ismael has his balfagore thing goin on too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good read :)

    My name is aaahChu` my favorite hero is pebbles, honestly.. in a game like hon.. there's no better feeling than just bursting down the same guy that keeps trashtalking in /all OVER AND OVER again

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favourite hero is MasTer AsSasSin Silhouette simply cuz of the fun factor involved in playing him (master assassin is a him not a her :p ) he's so mobile and hits pretty hard. Even if U get pawned early game U can always hit the jungle and recover pretty fast. The best part is the disjoints with his ult. It's given a lot of "hell yea" moments for me and "wtf" moments for my enemies.
    IGN:- nemesis10549

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello there Fluxzy!
    This is a very nice review! I believe that the only thing keeping HoN (and other MOBA'S) from becoming MUCH bigger is the steep learning curve that you mentioned. It is very hard to get my friends into the game because no one likes to be stomped again and again just to learn how to play a game.

    My HoN account is Banjokazooey and my favorite hero at the moment is Engineer. Don't get me wrong, those mines can be damned annoying, but they are also VERY fun to use. I would vote that Engineer is one of the only heroes with multiple spells that can POSITION THE ENEMY! When I lay down a patch of mines, keg an enemy closer to them, and then turret push the hero the rest of the way to an explosive death I get chills because of how fun it is.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favorite hero is scout. He is very awesome and can go invisible which makes me feel like a ninja. I also like how he can disarm people which is also very awesome and why I like him. He also works with all items, including Wards of Sight (Despite what others think).
    IGN: Jajabinks555

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, my favorite hero on HoN its Predator, because its so easy to play with him and make a lot of damage. ( Nickname on Hon: N4ix )

    Good luck to all and congratulation to the winners.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My favorite hero is definitely magmus.Struggle to get pkey as soon as possible with numerous lava surges,putting yourself in danger right in your enemy's face,with each stun being closer and closer to that core item.Once you aquire that blessed item you are free to channel your ult from anywhere,without fearing that your enemies might stop you from releasing deadly all-consuming lava torrents,followed by a like-a-pro shift queue blink and stun,always in desire to get at least a quadkill(hattricks are unacceptable).Then activate a steambath and run away,letting your enemies ask themselves what just happened and who genocided them.Allies in trouble?Stand in the fog,channel ult get in,turn the side of a battle in your favor.No other hero can do this.And you have to love it when somehow magmus's pkey gets cancelled and he struggles to still get into the teamfight just to get at least some minimum damage.Not to mention the satisfaction of channeling your ult right into your enemy's face,making them run like mindless chickens for not having stuns to intrerrupt you.(clytemnestra here)

    ReplyDelete
  26. My favorit hero is myrmidon, i love this canny fish from the deeps because not only is he a amazing support and ganker with 2 stuns but with his ult he can become one of the hardest carries i've seen in a game. this is my second hero i really learned to play but is still one of the hardest for me to master because of his unique build styles depending on what role you want him to fit.

    ing- rofolos clan tag AAAz

    ReplyDelete
  27. Chronos, all the fun memories i remember playing MobA for 6years...
    was always when i was using him, including back when he was just a faceless void.
    i remember when u can buy "manta style" then w/ my illusion i infinite bash the hell out of the other players,
    troll(throw) my team w/ my poor ult, and when i first saw the HoN trailer showing off the Chronos' version of his ult, oh good times.~
    i will never get tired of you Chronos.

    Goodluck everyone!
    and thanks for this generous contest Fluxzy!

    -Krino

    ReplyDelete
  28. My favorite hero is Drunken Master, even though he is somewhat weak at the moment. What makes him more fun than playing any other hero is that you have to buy totally different items every game.
    You need just enough survivability to be able to man up and jump around in the middle of a teamfight and enough damage to actually kill people and stuff. It's not easy to decide the perfect item build in every game.
    The play style itself suits me well too. There is nothing more satisfying than jumping up to a fleeing hero and throwing him back to your teammates.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My favorite hero, by far, is Soul Reaper. He has the most satisfying ult of any hero in the entire game. YOUR SOUL IS MINE!!!!
    Account=cloverfield

    ReplyDelete
  30. This review is probably the best i've seen!

    My favorite hero is nomad for his escapability and high damage output

    Account = huntaz567

    ReplyDelete
  31. my favorite hero is Aluna. She looks nice and is a good carry (for me). She got everything that you need, stun (on more then 1 target), speed boost, slow, damage skill (with long range). She is the best hero for me <3
    P.S.: S2 I'm still waiting for her alt avatar '-'i've collected 3k silver coins from 5-6 months now and still waiting to spend them for her alt avatar :(

    account: xXxLooPxXx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Scout :) so i can can KS. :) we all know HoN is About the kd :) (jk)
    but srsy Plague rider because he helps early game Late game an mid game.
    his ulti is massive aoe at late game. his sheild also is usefull mid game deny + nuke higly useful early game
    account: FearMePlease

    ReplyDelete